Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dear John and The Road

It's official. I have no estrogen. I should be kicked out of the All Girls Club and banished to the cold, dark, outer reaches where real girls are too scared to go. We saw 'Dear John' tonight and I didn't cry, didn't swoon, definitely didn't ooh or ahh and only clapped cuz the movie thankfully came to an merciful end... The only thing that saved it was rockin' smokin' hot honey Channing Tatum... LOL

Seriously, it really wasn't ALL bad... for the first half it even had promise. Up to a point it was a fairly decent chick flick and, yes, Channing Tatum is HOT. Thank the Good Lord he is over 18 and legal because I can handle being a Cougar but not someone who needs a parole officer... LOL

SPOILER ALERT:
'Dear John' lost me once she tells John that "she had no choice" but to marry a cancer-stricken man 20 years her senior with an autistic son... sob, sob, sniff, sniff... but then she goes and makes a play for John. ummm... NO. Sweetheart, you made your bed, so pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Life isn't fair and you can't have both worlds....

I understand the movie deviates from the book, which I didn't read, so my opinion is based on what I saw, and what I saw sends a message I don't like to our girls. How can a 20-something-year-old be responsible for a grown man and his disabled son? Please. Just creepy.

Nicholas Sparks writes for sad, lovelorn women and impressionable young girls who think that love is fireworks and happy, happy, joy, joy everyday. Ummm... again. NO. Nope. Not true. He paints a Romeo and Juliet version of falling in love with a Disney twist... Obviously he is not on my ever-on-a-cold-day-in-Hell list of books to read...

I am presently reading two books. 'Eclipse' by Stephanie Myers which I can't get through (duh!) but my daughter is into Twilight therefore I struggle and trudge on to read the series. My grown-up book is 'The Road' by
Cormac McCarthy who wrote 'No Country for Old Men'.

WOW. It's... well... wow.

The Road is a post-apocalyptic tale of a father and his son, raw in it's emotion and vivid in the visual it brings to the mind's eye. An amazing book that I can't put down and yet, I don't want to read because of the heartbreak it brings. I HIGHLY recomend it but only for those who don't belong to the All Girls Club and definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Or soul.

'Nuff said. Let's go play golf.
30

1 comment:

Maia said...

I love you LeAnne. You took the words right outta my mouth about the movie, Dear John. BOO!!! So does this mean you won't be seeing his new movie with Miley in it? :P

No Nicholas Sparks for me!

I loved the Twilight series but that is as girly as I will get. Have you ever read the Outlander series? That is big girl material for sure.